[3830] CQ160 SSB N2FF Single Op Assisted LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Feb 28 14:05:24 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, SSB

Call: N2FF
Operator(s): N2FF
Station: N2FF

Class: Single Op Assisted LP
QTH: East WIlliston, NY
Operating Time (hrs): 7 1/2

Total:  QSOs = 163  State/Prov = 37  Countries = 10  Total Score = 20,492

Club: Order of Boiled Owls of New York

Comments:

100 watts into an inverted L with 4 above radials at 8 feet does the trick
here.

MY goal was to work the 2 outstanding states I needed for WAS on 160 and I was
successful.  I got two ND stations and one KL7 Sunday morning.  As I tuned
across the band I heard a station say, "Thanks for Alaska," and my dial hand
froze. Even better I was able to hear the KL7. I pronged the magic pronker on
the voice keyer and he heard me. Luckily he had not yet been posted or it might
ahve been a sad frustrating story. This was 6:45 local just in time for the
magic of grayline.

The ND station was found posted low in the band, a KD4, while I was packet
pouncing.  I clicked on a spot and heard him say, I thought, that he was in NC.
 When I worked him he said, "North Dakota" and I couldn't believe it.  I asked
for a repeat on the state and it was indeed North Dakota.  A little while later
I worked a second ND station - not as exciting as the forst time around.

So all I need now are the LoTW matches or the cards.

Late Sunday afternoon I did a bit of running to get a few more QSO's in the
log, but the mission was accomplished.  I am very happy about my 163 Q's. I may
even have 2 new entities for DXCC in the log as I am now half way to DXCC on 160
without a linear.

The four radials will have to be taken down in a few weeks before the gardening
season begins.  That will be at the end of the long snow shoveling season this
year.