[3830] NAQP CW N4GG Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 10 06:25:39 PST 2010

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N4GG
Operator(s): N4GG
Station: N4GG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: GA

   15:   31     6
   10:    1     1
-------------------
Total: 1065   184  Total Score = 195,960

Club: South East Contest Club

Team: SECC #1

Comments:

Nice to work Dallas and Ken so many times...RIP OMs.

The start was tense here - burning resistor smell 10 minutes before the
bell..Murphy?  Couldn't find it and it finally went away, probably not forever
though (should reappear in WPX-CW).  Then off to a really slow start as 15 was
dead and signals on 20 were weak.  The first two hours were 70 rate...agony in
this contest.  15 finally cracked open after 40 minutes and I used too much
time working anything I could hear, which netted 6 mults.  I know better, and
yet I do this every NAQP and Sweeps.  The 15 antenna doesn't help: very low
dipole, down in a hole, at the end of a long run of old RG8-X....BUT, the SWR
is low!  Decent 21/28 antennas are on the to-do list.  Next year I'm going to
run my spark rig and S38-D on 15 - covers more spectrum in less time.
20 never really got hot - it was a low band contest.  40 opened early and
didn't go long until later than expected, but it was hard to stay off 80 and
160 because they were so good.  Noise was very low here, particularly on 160.
I felt like I could hear a pin drop on the West Coast on 160.  As usual, the
K9AY on receive made a big difference - this would be no fun if I had to use
the TX antennas on RX.  Rolling surf noise (aurora?) did pick up on 80 around
0430Z as it does some winter evenings.
Missed the 1000X200=200K goal by a little.  Put the SO2R stuff into "full
agressive" for the last two hours - I seldom do that as it makes for chopped
CQs.  I'm not sure it helped much either - sorry about that.  Its hard to make
up those 70 rate hours.  As Kirk said - its like a 10 hour sprint when you
spend every minute working the second radio hard.
Nice to see lots of activity and 8 teams here in SECC-land.  Folks who don't do
this contest don't know all the fun they are missing!
I made very wise use of my first time off: got a space heater out of the closet
to keep my feet warm the rest of the way.  It was 12F here last night in ATL.  I
miss the heat from the amps in more ways than one.

Missing sections: HI (heard one), AK, NL, AB, NU, NYT, YT.
2X FT1000MP+INRAD+Mods, WRITELOG, Home brew SO2R, Wires in the woods
73,
Hal, N4GG