[3830] CQWW CW 5R8ZO(N5ZO) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Jan 15 05:19:42 PST 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: 5R8ZO
Operator(s): N5ZO
Station: 5R8FU

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Madagascar

  160:    1     1        1
   80:   57    14       34
   40:  392    29       77
   20: 1226    33      106
   15: 1326    33      102
   10:  136    10       34

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment K-3 + Centurion amp, antennas TH-11DX + HF2V.

This was truly interesting location to operate the contest.  I think with more
sunspots and better operator (my CW operating skills seem to be all time low)
one could do quite well from 5R.  For given QSO amount multipliers seemed to
roll in without much effort.  I guess that has to do with geography: South of
Europe, rather near Africa/Asia and good propagation to Caribean.  US
propagation was somewhat dissapointing, with about 900 W/VE QSOs.  I had high
hopes for 15 m, but good US propagation only lasted 1 hour per day or so.  10 m
never really opened on either day and I was keeping close eye on it all time, so
I don't think I missed any openings there.  Low bands were struggle from small
city lot where couple vertical radials per band zigzagged within the property
boundaries.  I had small but annoying issue with amplifier relay, which I tried
to live with until middle of the contest when I finally decided to either fix it
if I could or operate rest of the contest barefoot.  It turned out to be easy
and quick fix, and I should have done that right in the beginning when it
started fail.  I was really struggling to stay on the chair especially on
second day.  I don't think I have ever been so fatigued.  But it was all still
great fun, there is really no other event like CQ WW DX Contest !

This was my 15th zone to do CQ WW DX Contest and one of the more interesting
ones.  Problem is that now I feel distracted from continuing to new zones and I
feel like I want to go back to 5R again, but let's see next year...

Big thanks to Ake 5R8FU and his wife Jacqueline for being great hosts and great
food I was served.  They operate small quest house and station is available for
renting for rather modest fee.  Highly recommended !

5R8ZO log has been uploaded to LotW and we will also QSL 100 % via buro.
Direct QSLs can be sent to Olli OH0XX, and he should be able to reply in few
weeks when cards are ready.
73 de Marko N5ZO