[3830] NAQP SSB KK1L Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 17 04:53:27 PST 2010

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: KK1L
Operator(s): KK1L
Station: KK1L

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: VT

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:    6     5
   20:  248    37
   15:   11     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  265    48  Total Score = 12,985

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

I love the January NAQP and was planning to be full time KB mode, however I had
to travel on business to Japan. Luckily I had been doing some work over the
past months to make my station more automated. I was able to run my station
remotely almost like being there. It was quite awesome once I got my feet wet.
There was the extra step of having to press a function key as PTT and another
to release. It took me a while to get the timing of the keystrokes between
typing in the call and smoothly answering the station. Skype does not do so
well with QRM and it is difficult on a noisy 40m. I was S&P slowly for a while
until I got more comfortable. I did try out the system before I left, but had a
lot to learn on the job so to speak.

I brought my heil proset with me, but I spent my first hour unintentionally
using my laptop microphone instead. I was told my audio was a bit light and
sounded a bit mechanical. I had chalked it up to Sykpes CODEC...WRONG! Once I
started using a mic within an inch of my lips things turned around with
excellent audio reports, first in pileups, nice runs.

I did not know just what to expect for latency, but I was very happily
surprised. I could run stations pretty much like being at home! The 10 min rate
meter peaked at over 300. I had a run on 20m for nearly 2 hours at an average
rate of 130. I was tickled. All this while sitting on my bed with a laptop and
a heil headset. I worked Rick, K6VVA, for a remote to remote contact. I worked
a few of my local Vermont friends and it was rather a surprise to find out
where my body was.; Unfortunately I worked most of them with my laptop mic!

I had just arrived in Japan the day of the contest. I went to be not knowing if
I would be awake enough to get on in a few hours. As is typical for me though I
cannot sleep past 5AM the first day or two I am here (Japan). Unfortunately The
customer I am here to visit considered their problem important enough to work
Sunday! I could only put in a few hours for the contest. Bottom line is that I
got a good chance to try remote operating and I have to say it was not bad at
all! I will be doing this again the next time I get stuck like this.

73 es God Bless, Ron <><