[3830] NAQP SSB N4KG Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jan 18 07:20:14 PST 2010

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: N4KG
Operator(s): N4KG
Station: N4KG

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: ALA

   15:    9     4
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  385   122  Total Score = 46,970

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Team: ACG #2

Comments:

This was probably my First Ever Phone NAQP.  To get a feel for what can be done,
I looked at the top 100 SOAB LP Scores from last year and noted many scores with
over 1000 Q's.  Conditions this year didn't seem to warrant that but local K4AB
managed to do the trick with some Early QSY's to the Low Bands.

VERY STRANGE Conditions.

15M was dying to W7 when I started at 2030Z but came back like gangbusters to
CA OR WA and KL7!

20M NAQP activity was heard from 14155 to 14347.

40M just Went Away after sunset.  Heard ONE station CQing repeatedly with NO
takers. Most of the activity (later) seemed to be below 7200.

80M was Great but seemed to have Long Skip.  Many West Coast stations worked
but NEVER heard New Jersey (on ANY Band).  Worked several NY and W1's.

160M was Incredible.  Had a 96 hour from 0401 to 0502Z.  Yeah, I know I could
have increased my rate by QSYing to 80M but I wanted to see what I could do in
a continuous hour on 160M.  Many W6/7's called in with weak but readable
signals on my Elevated GP (plus suspected parasitic Reflector action from
another 130 ft tower beaming NW).  NO Beverages to the West.

Never Worked NJ MS(hrd) NE(hrd) VE2,4,8,9,VO1,2,VY1,2

Tom  N4KG in North Alabama