[3830] CQ160 CW K5ZD Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jan 31 14:10:11 PST 2010

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5ZD
Operator(s): K5ZD
Station: K5ZD

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: W1

Total:  QSOs = 764  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 53  Total Score = 416,130

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Only limited time due to other priorities.  And interference from some kind of
local electronic pollution that wipes out the band for hours at a time.

When no local interference, bands were very quiet and seemed good.  Europeans
weren't loud, but easily workable both nights.  Had a great run along Europe
sunrise on Sunday morning.

Missed SD and KL7.  Never heard either one!

Did 3 hours Friday night with my usual antennas.  On Saturday I installed a
Comtek phasing box I had recently purchased.  Was dismayed to find my verticals
were too far apart for the 1/4-wave phasing lines to reach (bad engineering on
my part).  So just plugged in some extra coax to get on the air.  Did see some
pattern when I switched, but am sure it is not working optimally.  Even so,
didn't seem to hurt on being able to work stations.  Now I have to decide if I
want to invest in 3/4-wave phasing lines.  That can be expensive on 160 (and
all to solve a 20' problem).

Breakdown by Continent

           160   Total      %

    EU     252     252    33.0