[3830] IARU KZ5D SO CW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 11 14:04:17 PDT 2010

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: KZ5D
Operator(s): KZ5D
Station: KZ5D

Class: SO CW HP
QTH: LA
Operating Time (hrs): 23:15

  160:    10            2       2
   80:   132           10       5
   40:   436           25      26
   20:   497           31      31
   15:   175           23      13
   10:    96            7       8
-------------------------------------
Total:  1346    0      98      85  Total Score = 779,946

This is great fun but a 24 hour straight run is becoming too much for this old
body. Started off on 40 and found the going slow after 15 minutes, so switched
to 20 where I expected to have a great run to Europe. Wrong! A surprise noise
source was peaking to the NE-directly on my path to EU. Very frustrating as
this was not evident the day before the contest. I had to live with this
frustration all day Saturday so trying to work anyone but the very loudest EU
signals on 20 was a real stretch. 15 and 10 were better than expected to make
up the difference on 20. Then we had a major thunderstorm for about 2 hours
near sunset, near the time I was planning to hit 40 hard. Changed bands and
started laughing. I've never heard noise that loud. Took a short food break and
came back to the rig for a little more frustration on 20. Finally the storm
moved out and 40 was workable. I had some risidual static from the storm on 80
and 160 but kept hitting those bands hard for mults. Not many to be had. And
not many stations were willing to move. Early morning hours were terrific for
mults, but slower rates prevailed. And the temptation to quit and hit the sack
was strong. I did resist, but my attention span wasn't as good as earlier. All
in all, a better score than last year. Significant improvement in working
mults, but fewer total QSOS due in part to the mysterious noise. Incidentally,
it's not there today. Go figure! 73 de Art KZ5D.