[3830] NAQP RTTY W6YX M/2 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 18 14:19:42 PDT 2010

                    North American QSO Party, RTTY - July

Call: W6YX
Operator(s): K6UFO W6LD N6CCH N6DE KZ2V W6RK
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: CA

   10:   13     4
-------------------
Total:  856   185  Total Score = 158,360

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Team:

Comments:

Our highest July QSO count, our third highest July Mult
count, and our second highest July score! Our operators
and equipment performed well, but mostly thanks to all
the new RTTY operators and the increasing activity. Lots
of new calls, and old familiar calls new to RTTY - thanks!

For radios we used two of our usual Yaesu MP/MkVs
on the two run positions, and tried Elecraft K3's for the
two spotting positions. Despite operator trouble finding
the right buttons and menus, they performed very well.

W6LD and N6CCH performed lots of antenna repair before the
contest to provide us multi-antennas per band, they also
provided the K3's, and ran the run stations for the first
4-plus hours - so they win "MVP" status!

No problems with Writelog or MMTTY, but copy was tough at
times, weak signals, QRM, and crazy flutter.

We didn't hear activity on 10m, so we started on 15m and
20m. We heard AA4LR on 10m in the first hour, but we
decided not to QSY due to the 10 minute rule, and never
heard him again. As usual, we heard 10 meter beacons in
our late afternoon and early evening, showing the band was
open, but nobody was there to work.

We heard several stations that were needed Mults, but they
were Search-and-pounce and never found us, so we missed
them. On 15m we heard NM and a Panama station that we never
connected with. Please consider doing a little CQ-ing as
well as S & P, as we are continually tuning the band. We
also missed getting KH6GMP when we first heard him on 20m,
hoping he would be easy later. We also missed several
chances to move mults, but overall we're happy with our
third highest July mult total, and we gave it a big effort.

Sunlight here until 03:30Z, so 40m and 80m suffered in
early darkness. 80m was rough.  We could hear pretty well,
but the problem was being heard.  We called and called
many stations who would just keep CQ'ing. As a result, we
missed many stations and mults on 80m.

Also, lots of ops finished their 10hrs and were gone just
as we got to 80m. Please consider taking a mid-day break
and coming back for the last two hours. We'll give you
another Q and Mult on 40m and 80m!

Thanks for the fun!
W6YX Stanford University Amateur Radio Club
Ops: K6UFO W6LD N6CCH N6DE KZ2V W6RK

W6YX:
Tribanders: Force 12 C-31XR tribander at 60ft, Mosely Pro-67 at 50 ft
10m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft
15m: 6 el yagi at 70 ft
20m: 6 el yagi at 60 ft
40m: 4 el at 60 ft
80m: inverted vee at 50 ft
Beverage receiving antennas
Yaesu FT-1000MP, Yaesu FT-1000MkV
Elecraft K3, Elecraft K3
Writelog and MMTTY software

QSO by hour and band.
        80M     40M     20M     15M     10M   Total  Cumm
1800Z    -       -      66      54       -      120    120
1900Z    -       -      59      39       4      102    222
2000Z    -       -      58      33       -       91    313
2100Z    -       -      36      15       -       51    364
2200Z    -       -      31      10       3       44    408
2300Z    -      11      49       4       3       67    475
0000Z ---+-     12      29    ---+-      1       42    517
0100Z    -      28      20       -       -       48    565
0200Z    -      40      21       -       -       61    626
0300Z    -      53      19       -       2       74    700
0400Z   37      48       -       -       -       85    785
0500Z   35      36       -       -       -       71    856

Total:  72     228     388     155      13