[3830] IOTA AA4V SO(A)12Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 25 10:18:56 PDT 2010

                    IOTA Contest

Call: AA4V
Operator(s): AA4V
Station: AA4V

Class: SO(A)12Mixed HP
QTH: NA-110
Operating Time (hrs): 11:53

   80:    0       0        0       0
   40:  113      19      160      31
   20:  195      19      673      48
   15:   49      13       12       2
   10:    2       0        0       0
Total:  359      51      845      81  Total Score = 856,944

Club: Low Country Contest Club

Comments:

The 12 hour mixed assisted category is perfect for me. Enough radio without the
fatigue of a 24 hour slog. Prior planning is a must in this category (and, of
course, the radio g-ds must cooperate). Band conditions here were poor on 10M
and 15M. There was only a short opening here on 15M CW and a few on phone.
Naturally 20M was the go-to workhorse during the day but even 20 was up and
down, especially in the morning. I operated 9 hours during the day taking a
break from 17Z until 1830Z and again from 2230Z until 0230Z. As planned, I
spent my last 3 hours from 0230 to 0530 on 40M. What a pleasure it is these
days to operate SSB on 40. Many stations called in with some extraordinary
signals from Europe and the middle east. The CW portion of 40M seemed less
crowded this year.

This was the first outing for my ACOM 2000A and it worked flawlessly. The K3
was, as usual, fully able to fight any type of QRM/QRN. Antennas were a 3-el
SteppIR at 60 feet and a 40 meter vertical mounted on the sea wall with the
bottom and 10 radials in the sea. I used two 160M Pennants for receiving on 40M
at times.

Many thanks to all the callers who make contesting what it is. CU you all from
VP9 in the CQ WW Phone in October.