[3830] IOTA VE1RGB SO24CW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jul 25 10:54:49 PDT 2010

                    IOTA Contest

Call: VE1RGB
Operator(s): VE1RGB
Station: VE1RGB

Class: SO24CW LP
QTH: Halifax, NS

   80:   43      18
   40:  117      31
   20:  192      35
   15:   53      15
Total:  405      99       0        0  Total Score = 286,605

Club: Maritime Contest Club

Comments:

This is a very difficult contest to play in from NA with a small station with
wire antennas because of the huge EU wall beating the rare islands to death.
Furthermore, conditions were anything but outanding.

Nonetheless, I doubled my personal previous best this year and I kept good
notes to substantiate my belief that a lot of that achievement can be
attributed to the Field Test Elecraft P3 panadapter that I had bolted on to K3
#95, that being the only difference in this station since last year's IOTA.
Time and time again I found the waterfall pointing out signals that had escaped
my listening while tuning around. If, like me, you are regularly restricted to
S&P because running if out of the question, check the P3 out.  And no, I'm not
on staff.

Antennas: 160M wire delta loop with the apex at 95 feet (buried in the woods
and largely ineffective during the summer leafy season), an 80M dipole in the
clear at 75 feet (used 90% of the time); and a 40M vertical with lots of
radials.  And lots of ladder line for the wires.

Equipment:  K3 + P3.