[3830] WPX CW VY2TT(K6LA) SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Jun 2 00:04:43 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: VY2TT
Operator(s): K6LA
Station: VY2TT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: PEI

   20: 1067

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

While doing routine maintenance during the week before the contest, it was
discovered that the aluminum boom to mast plate on my big 40 meter yagi was
severely cracked.  A new steel plate was fabricated and a crane arrived 10 AM
Saturday during the contest so the plate could be changed out when I wasn't
using the antenna. Unfortunately, the bolts holding the boom saddle clamps had
frozen, the plate couldn't be changed out and the antenna had to be taken down.
By 2 PM it was apparent new bolts could not be procured so the antenna could not
be put back up. I was so bummed out I stopped a theretofore serious effort and
took a nap. As big of a bummer as that was, it was a good thing it was taken
down. A triangular piece about 3" wide at the bottom and about 4" high almost
looked like a puzzle piece that had been cut with a blowtorch. It would have
been much worse had the yagi come down on its own.

My theretofore serious effort was seriously behind last year's QSO and mult
count. Clearly conditions weren't as good. Saturday evening I got back on and
found 15m open to EU. It hadn't really opened to EU at all earlier in the day.
Weird.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT