[3830] WPX CW YU1WC SOSB40 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Jun 3 15:53:41 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: YU1WC
Operator(s): YU1WC
Station: YU1WC

Class: SOSB40 QRP
QTH: Belgrade

Rig: Genesis G40, 5W SDR monobander
Antenna: 2x21m sloping doublet, @30/3 mtrs
Software: GSDR, N1MM

My goal was to reach 500 contacts, and I almost succeeded.

It was a very, very difficult contest for a qrp station. There were so many,
many, repeats - I am really grateful to all those who stood by patiently
digging out the serial number digit by digit.

Tried to "run" as much as possible. Although one can hardly call it running, I
think it was very important, because many new multipliers came to my cq. Most
of them were only in S&P, because I never heard them again.

The worst day for me was Saturday. I was tired from the beginning, it took me
so long to start going in the morning, and then after the break a terrible
headache almost made me quit. Although I am QRP, some RFI managed to get into
the (cheap) external keyboard of my laptop, ruining a pair of qsos. Later in
the afternoon, everything was much brighter after working Oceania and reaching
300 qsos.

On Sunday evening, with 4 hours to go, everything was great. New stations were
coming to 40 meters, the score was rapidly advancing with every new multiplier,
everyone seamed to hear my 5W. Even the storms scheduled for the weekend somehow
missed my qth. But then I heard a loud "POP!" - the mosfet in the finals of my
rig blew up, and since I did not have a spare, that was the end.

After all, I must say that I am very, very satisfied, since I almost reached my
goal of 500 qsos. In total there were 75 six-pointers, among them some new dxcc
for me, all continents (including 2 VKs), and my best dx ever with 5W on 40
meters: ZM1A.

Except working ZM1A, the funny moment was passing through a small pileup of
obviously non-qrp stations callin JH4UYB on Sunday afternoon. My sloping
doublet must have made the difference, probably because of some vertical
polarization of the radiated signal.
Also when I called a nearby YU station in a skip zone (new multiplier for me),
during several exchanges they copied my call as YV1 - I could sense their
euphoria... Sorry... and thanks!