[3830] AlQP N8II SOCW HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Jun 8 07:41:48 PDT 2010

                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOCW HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~7

  160:
   80:   22      0
   40:   69     19
   20:   82     30
--------------------
Total:  173     49  CW Mults = 53  Ph Mults = 25  Total Score = 18,338

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score reflects CW only decision; mixed score would be 30,810.

My time was cut short due to a friend's recent serious injury from being struck
by a car while mowing; I went to see him during the evening and was off 3
hours.
Despite very marginal condx due to long skip on 20 to northern AL and sometimes
all the way down to just north of the Gulf Coast, 20 meters produced very well.
Having the amp running and the 5 el yagi made the difference between
struggling
to get thru or not getting thru and getting thru to the mobiles pretty easily.
Kudos to Ted W4NZ/M who was worked number of times when I could barely hear him
(some pure backscatter) and Jim and Don N4ZZ/M who picked me up first call when
weak several times. I didn't have time to compile the most worked list, but
N4ZZ and W4NZ were at the top with their A game. Both were worked on both 40
and 20 in the same county numerous times. The mobile activity was concentrated
in the northern part of the state, e.g. 6 mobile CW Q's with Winston Co. Jim,
KC4HW and Ed, KN4Y drove many miles to activate many counties down south that
otherwise wouldn't have been active. N5WR provided quite a few Q's, and W4AQP,
K4K, and W4W were worked numerous times.

Madison Co./Huntsville was by far the most active with 21 CW Q's and 8 phone
finding their way into my log. I'd guess there was some club fanning the
flames.

The low bands were noisy, but I could copy the mobiles that showed up on 40
throughout the day. There were good signals after 21Z. Mobiles on 80 CW were
near the noise level except for W4NZ.

I couldn't run many stations on SSB, activty even from the fixed stations was
better on CW. Many thanks to KC4HW and ACG for organizing and checking the
logs.