[3830] BARTG 75 VA7ST Single Op HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Jun 13 17:43:14 PDT 2010

                    BARTG Sprint 75

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC

Total:  70  Mults = 26  Continents = 4  Total Score = 7,280

What a hoot! I'd opt for 75 as the new standard (or at least an option) for RTTY
contests -- the speed works FB. Didn't notice any reduction in decoding quality.
Had a grin on my face for a long time after seeing how well it worked and how
snappy the Qs were. Made for exciting rate until the band was worked out after
a few minutes.

Used MMTTY and N1MM Logger. After figuring out where to turn off the "Send
HamDefault on run change" so I'd stay at 75 baud when going to S&P, it worked a
treat.

If 75 baud takes off as I hope it does, would be good to accommodate a 75-baud
Ham Default setting in MMTTY so it doesn't revert to 45.45 each time the
defaults are applied (such as when resetting the wandering AFC).

As has been noted by many, going back to the DLDC contest at 45 baud felt like
down-shifting to low gear. There was no noticeable change in signal readability
with the slower speed, just slower exchanges.

Perhaps a few hours isn't enough time to properly evaluate the higher speed,
but I knew after the first hour that I now very much prefer 75.

Next time there'll be more to work, I'm sure. Do we have to wait a whole year
to do it again?

Missed out on OC and AF.

Thanks to John GW4SKA and everyone at BARTG for trying this on for size. It
definitely fits!

-- Bud VA7ST