[3830] ARRL June VHF WA3SEE Limited Rover LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 14 03:14:43 PDT 2010

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: WA3SEE
Operator(s): WA3SEE, K3TN
Station: WA3SEE

Class: Limited Rover LP
QTH: FM18/28/29

    6:  19     16
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  19     16  Total Score = 304

Squalo on 8 foot pole strapped to bike carrier, 50 watts. Is there a category
for really, really Limited Rover?

On Saturday WA3SEE got back from flying his Cessna to Delaware, bought an
extensible pole used to dust ceiling fans, attached his 6m Squalo to it, used
muffler clamps to strap it to the hitch mounted bike carrier on his Jeep at Lee
Airport, and used battery cables to power his Icom to 8 contacts from FM18.

Sundays, Carl and I are normally biking or hiking, so we we went out to
Tuckahoe State Park which straddles the FM28/29 boundary on the eastern shore
of Maryland. We set up in FM29 near a temporary electronic road sign that put
out annoying QRN on 6m. Conditions weren't as good on Sunday, but we did work
VQ5M.

We then drove south into the park, did a 5 mile hike through the Tuckahoe River
"Valley" (the max elevation at the top of the "valley" is probably 25 feet above
the river) and then put the squalo back up from FM28. The temperature and
humidity were up in the 90s by then, condition were not so great, so we packed
up after an hour or so - and got stuck in the 10 mile backup of weekend beach
goers heading west over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. That 10 miles took an hour,
about the same amount of time we spent operating but we had to way to run the
radio while moving.

Goal for next time: time spent operating must exceed time spent in traffic.