[3830] ARRL June VHF W9KVR Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 14 09:27:11 PDT 2010

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W9KVR
Operator(s): W9KVR
Station: W9KVR

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EN60; IL

    6:  78     45
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  78     46  Total Score = 3,588

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

First time operating in the VHF QSO party.  I came in with only 2 career Q's on
6m, those being on meteor scatter.  So, my goal was to improve on that total
and see where the cards fall!

I spent my time on air searching and pouncing as I wasn't really confident I
could hold a frequency with my station set-up.  I operated with a
10/15/20/40/80 dipole whose apex is at 13 feet using 100w.  Not ideal, but it
worked.    I also battled a few storms that rolled through Iroquois County,
that conveniently shut me down, right when things were opening up on Saturday.

I also enjoyed how the bands were changing back and forth between the South and
New England.  Amazing how it seemed like someone was flipping a switch as I was
working Texas and then all of a sudden working New England.  A great learning
experience that I take back to my classroom in the Fall.

Anyway, I had alot of fun working the stations on air and was glad to give out
EN60 as a new one to many of them.  I met all of the goals I set for this time
so I can't be disappointed.  Highlights include picking up my first DX on 6m,
working WY and NE, and chatting with N9LAH for EN60!

THANKS to all of those who pulled my out of the piles and hope to work you all
again next time!

73!
-Troy
W9KVR