[3830] ARRL June VHF K4LY Single Op LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Jun 14 12:45:23 PDT 2010

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: EM85 SC

    6:  722   223
  903:    5     4
  1.2:   10     6
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  850   290  Total Score = 270,860

Club: Carolina DX Assn

Comments:

Best ever 6M conditions from here in SC (or Colorado as W0AH). Previous best
from here was two years ago when I was 6th and set a new Roanoke Division low
power record with 144,825.  I recall similar conditions decades ago in upstate
NY as W2CRS.  Lots of double hop to west coast both days.  At one point late
Saturday afternoon I was called by a G while hearing CA off the back of my
beam! That was the only Europe heard. With 90% of time spent on 6M, mostly
running,  2M and above was way down with record low Qs and mults from here.
6M-1296 all worked with no problems, but tropo was fair at best.   My 2304 was
kaput.  I wish I had hooked up my outboard voice keyer and saved my voice a
little. I could hardly talk Sunday evening and called CQ on CW a lot. Another
mistake was to mostly write contact info on paper instead of entering it
direcly, but at least I can review those paper scratch pads and find some
contacts I forgot to log when running bands with a station.  Problem is, I
can't figure out how to enter those contacts after the contest with correct
time and date in N1MM, which gives me an error message when I try.  With 3
different radios, I do not interface N1MM to radio so have to manually enter
mode and band, one more thing to do do wrong. I noticed that N1MM separates SSB
and CW contacts so, for the most part, I just selected USB for both CW and SSB
contacts. Hope that's OK.  I do have mode written on scratch sheets.
I only had one sked, and missed it Saturday night.  I was 15 minutes late when
I noticed the time.  I got on Sunday night for the backup sked, but heard NIL.
No WSJT this test, but I do run some WSJT skeds September and January when 6M is
not so active.
As I approach 70, my skils and memory aren't what they once were.  I hope I
didn't log too many broken calls (or forget to log contacts), but try as I do,
I know I'm tiring easily and becoming more mistake prone now.
Thanks to the rovers and everyone else whose patience and good operating was a
tribute to our great hobby.
Doug Windmill Hill SC