[3830] ARRL June VHF K9AKS Single Op Port QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Jun 17 15:42:40 PDT 2010

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: K9AKS
Operator(s): K9AKS
Station: K9AKS

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: DN80
Operating Time (hrs):

    6:  248   131
    2:   12     7
  222:    3     3
  432:    8     4
  903:
  1.2:    2     2
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  273   147  Total Score = 42,336

This year I took my travelling QRP portable operation to northeast Colorado,
DN80. Enjoyed both legs of the trip from Illinois, engaging in various other
interests along the way, including the exploration of Highway 6. Big storms
were threatening on Friday when I arrived in Holyoke—two or three tornados
touched down east and northeast of Denver—so I only partially set up the
tower and antennas then. A major storm came through Friday evening, which I sat
out at a friendly pub in town. Throughout the day Saturday and Sunday, the wind
was a major problem, along with lots of rain. My Armstrong method of rotation
suffered badly at times, but I managed to keep most of the rain out of the car
where I operated. Another major storm hit Sunday morning, so I was not able to
get on the air until about 8:30 a.m.

Six meters was open much of the time on both days, sometimes in multiple
directions, which really saved the day. The other bands (2, 222, 432, and 1296)
were largely a bust for me, partly because I spend a lot of time on six, and
partly because of problems holding the antennas in place. I do mostly S&P, but
did manage three CQ runs of about ten stations each on six. My six meter grid
map looks great—a nice circle of grids all the way around the compass from
Minnesota>Ohio, much of the Southeast, some Texas and N. Mexico, lots of
Arizona and California, and a sprinkling of grids from the Pacific Northwest.
The 131 grids I worked on six is a personal best for me running QRP.

Enjoyed working lots of old friends and I really appreciate those who had to
work to pull me out of the muck. 73, Curt Roseman k9aks