[3830] WVQP N8II Single OpMixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Jun 23 06:36:40 PDT 2010

                    West Virginia QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single OpMixed HP
QTH: JEFFERSON - JEF
Operating Time (hrs): ~8.8

   80:   21      0
   40:   68     39
   20:   37    741
   15:    1      1
   10:    1    182
----------------------------
Total:  128    963      0  Mults = 86  Total Score = 105,722

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Score includes 200 bonus points for 1 QSO with W8WVA and 5+ with K8RYU/M.

The planets i.e. sporadic E clouds aligned nearly perfectly and allowed nearly
constant high rate running for the WVQP. I didn't get started until 1635Z
(returne, not planning to stick with a full time effort. As I tuned across 20,
there were actually loud stations in south central WV there! Once I started
running on 20 phone after a brief try at CW, the rate hung around 170-200 per
hour for quite a while; 300 Q's were in the log in no time. 20 was a bottomless
pit, loads of KY and TN stations, 8's, 9's and New England which would normally
be in the noise. Quite a few casual ops have very poor antennas, mobiles were
louder than some fixed stations. The static crashes from storms in OH/MI and
farther west were constantly there and grew to S9 or just over on peaks on 20
by 24Z, 40 and 80 were very noisy. Thanks to mobiles W8OP and K8RYU for
livening up the action for those out of state and us in state too. I worked RYU
about 10 times, always loud. 10M was obviously open very well with my run
starting around 21Z working New England and many 6's and 7's on double hop Es.
If you call CQ (didn't have to call many, steady stream of callers), they will
come with condx like we had.
Thanks to all of the casual ops who gave me a QSO, many who didn't know what
contest they were working. It take a long time to say "West Virginia QSO Party"
so I didn't advertise it as often as was ideal to keep the rate up. 20 was still
producing Q's well over 100/hr when the clock ran out. I called by RW9AS, UP4L,
and VK6NTE on 20 and XE on 10. ZL2OK called me after the end to tell me he
couldn't make it thru earlier. Eu Q's were not as plentiful as I would have
expected; I tried beaming there + New England a couple of times and using a
dipole to spread out my coverage more. The rate always tanked compared to
beaming near west. Not running on 15 was a conscious decision based on normally
low summer activity, but condx were so good, I probably could have done well
there also.
Both mobile and home station operating can be a lot of fun in your home state
QP, see you next year!

73, Jeff