[3830] ARRLDX SSB NK7U M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 15:46:46 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: NK7U
Operator(s): NK7U, K7ZO, W7ZRC, N7WR
Station: NK7U

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Oregon
Operating Time (hrs): 47:30

   20: 1156   109
   15:  323    69
   10:   30     8
-------------------
Total: 2315   337  Total Score = 2,302,047

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Looks like we fell a bit short of the existing W7 M/S SSB record after the team
of NK7U and W2VJN set a new W7 M/S record in the CW version. All we needed was
some of the same 10 & 15M propagation the CW weekend had and we would have made
it. We had enough QSO’s. We were just about 40 mults short. There is always
next year.

All in all though not a bad weekend. The rates were not super high and we only
had one 100 hour all weekend. But it was steady. On a band by band basis.

160M: About what expected in a SSB contest. We had a bonus QSO with 9A1A for
our only Europe QSO and of course the D4C operation for our only Africa.
80M: Was overall a disappointment for us. Though we had a handful of Europe QSO
and mults we just could not get anything going to JA. This is a very low QSO
total. We did grind it out to make sure we broke the 100 QSO barrier and there
was a great QSO with JT1CO after our sunrise on Sunday.

40M: What a fine time we had on 40M. Good JA runs both nights – with over 300
ending up in the log, about the same worked on 20 and 15 combined! . We had a
great run into Europe on Saturday evening our time after dawn their but before
20M opened to the East Coast. The run lasted 45 minutes or so  – our longest
and best ever 40M run on SSB in Europe. We were even working some 10W guys!
Then on Sunday morning we had great rates down into VK/ZL land with lots of VK
2X4 calls in the log – which took a bit of time getting used to. When the
dust settled we had 71 VK’s in the log on 40M, the second highest of any
country. And we had a couple of great long path QSO’s one each morning –
with 5R8FU on Saturday and V51B on Sunday morning. V51B’s packet spot was
“good sig long path” – that was fun to see, and it was 90 minutes before
his sunset.

20M: Was the usual grind. We could also tell that 15M was not in great shape
because of the packed conditions on 20M, particularly in the morning Europe
opening  – 59+ signals and QRM across the band. Still we managed to wedge our
way in and work away at a steady 60-80/hour rate – giving many their OR
multiplier. That is the great thing about ARRL DX where NK7U’s 5/5/5 Europe
stack on 20M will draw attention because of being a mult – unlike in CQWW
where we are just another Zone 3. 20M towards Asia was ok with average JA rates
and many of the exotic Asia mults were missing.

15M: We had great hope for this after the ARRL CW weekend but it just was not
to be. We could tell it just was not there when it closed to JA about 30
minutes into the contest – though in the end half of our 15M QSO’s were
with JA. We never had any kind of runnable opening into Europe and managed just
a handful of S&P mults with Europe just as the sun was setting over there.
Everything else were just the usual S&P of Carib and South America operations.

10M: Well – it’s still the bottom of the sunspot cycle isn’t it. We did
manage D4C and KH7XS on this band for our only two 6 banders. Then it was the
usual South America with a ZS thrown in for a nice addition. We have a brief
opening to South America on Sunday late morning that was tantalizingly like the
good old days with loud clear signals. Too bad it only lasted about 20 minutes.

Thanks all the DX for the QSO’s and thanks for the stateside guys in standing
by. NK7U will be back on in WPX SSB with a full bore M/2 operation in the
“Battle of the West Coast M/2’s”. See everyone then.

Scott/K7ZO for NK7U and the other NK7U operators.