[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1TN SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 16:25:46 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1TN
Operator(s): K1TN
Station: K1TN

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SNJ

  160:    0     0
   10:    7     6
-------------------
Total:  279   180  Total Score = 150,660

I decided to try a little SSB with my 100 watts and Slinky. It's an ugly, ugly
story, about my head exploding and stuff, which I shall save for my memoir.

It turned out that my 66-ft end-fed wire in a tree does not want to load up on
10 Meters above about 28.1. Who knew? It wasn't real happy above 21.1, either.
I suppose I should shorten it a foot or two. It has to come down soon anyway.
Its current location is the best I've had here. It's not really in a straight
line, it's UP-OVER-DOWN, an Inverted U.

The seven 10 Meter Qs I made were with about 20 watts out and 20 back.

Best DX was one JA on 20. Only one Africa: 6W1SJ. No VK, no ZL.

The K3 is very slick for split operation. For all I know, other modern
transceivers are, too. With the K3 I figured out how to do split lickety-split,
so to speak.

I may be on for CW WPX, may not. I got laid off in December so all bets are
off.

Jim Cain
At The K1TN Superstation
Atlantic City