[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4LT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 17:04:05 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4LT
Operator(s): W4LT
Station: W4LT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Tampa, FL

  160:    0     0
   10:   19     4
-------------------
Total:  403   164  Total Score = 193,848

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

2010-03-07 1849 - 1941Z,   14295 kHz, 66 Qs, 76.4/hr W4LT

Rig : Elecraft K3 - Ameritron ALS600

Antennas : Cushcraft A3S @ 40ft - Radioworkz Carolina Windom 80LP

Soapbox :

No full time effort possible due to work around the house.  Also, testing new
N1MM/K3 interface software, which worked flawlessly!  So actually, with all the
emailing and testing and playing with the software and the radio, more like 7
maybe 8 hours total.

99% Search and Pounce effort, Practicing for WPX and spotting you HP guys my
usual 3.5dB.

I continue to be amazed at the K3 receiver... Tried one run just for the hell
of it, to see how close I could get to someone else and still work signals.
The above run was mostly Euro 100w stations with several Euro 5 watt QRP
signals thrown in for fun!  All the while, above me on 14.296.8, and below me
on 14.293 two strong S9+10 Euro signals!  No RX desense and no S-Meter AGC
dance of death!  Pop in the 1.8 filter, narrow the bandwidth and drop the shift
to 10.5 and then just manage the RF gain and those 100w signals just pop right
in!  Every time I use this radio, I learn new tricks!  If I only had a tower
twice my current height, a real antenna and a full legal limit amp...

Another amazing performer is the Carolina Windom.  Much to my surprise, it is
at least an S-Unit louder than my vertical to everywhere except Asia/Pacific,
where it is dead even on 40.  Much better than the dipole it replaced.

I know Im nuts, but I REALLY enjoy working split on 40, now even more with the
sub receiver and being able to listen on my TX frequency for timing calls.

Ended the contest in a huge pile inside big signals from the Northeast for a
VP8, and busted the pile with timed calls.  Truly loads of fun, and a great S&P
a tune up for WPX.

-lu-