[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4EAR SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 20:28:17 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE4EAR
Operator(s): VE4EAR
Station: VE4EAR

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

  160:    9     8
   10:    8     2
-------------------
Total: 1067   241  Total Score = 771,441

Sounds like the story in this contest will be the propagation differences
between regions. 20m was great all weekend. Worked numerous whisper QRP
stations from Eu with as little as 0.5 Watts! 80m was great Friday night and
normal Saturday (ie poor) 40m really shone during Sunday afternoon.

The real story was 15m and the lack of any EU opening. Not a peep at all
Saturday. Openings to Zone 8 and SA were OK but very spotty and moved around a
lot. The weakest area was between the first and second hop or as others call
it, the Caribbean. Signals would be huge one moment and non existent the next.

On Sunday around 1700z I started hearing EU on 15m but the signals were very
weak. The strange thing was the beam was pointed  at 145 degrees a and EU is
normally 45 degrees from here. I went outside to make sure everything was
intact and it was. If I rotated the beam E or W the signals would vanish.
Certainly not long path but some kind of scatter or reflection. I wasn't able
to be heard by any EU station on 15 in this mode but that was because they were
busy working al the W1-6s!!! Its great to live in the RF Black hole. I am
curious to see how far south and east you had to be to work EU on 15m.

10m was as expected virtually non existent. A handful of very weak LU stations
and 1 CE station. Checked for activity frequently but no luck.

160m was very weak here. I am amazed that Herb KV4FZ can ever hear me! Thats
what great receiving antennas will do. Now if we can just work on keeping him
awake when we call:)

No 6 banders for me but quite a few 5 banders.

Thanks for all the Q's and the patience.

73

Ed, VE4EAR

Equipment:
Antennas:   160/80m  Delta DX A at 16m