[3830] ARRLDX SSB K7ZSD M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 7 21:33:54 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K7ZSD
Operator(s): KI7Y, W7ZB, K7RF, K2PO, WS7L, K7ZS, K7AR, K7ZSD
Station: K7ZSD

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: NW Oregon

   20: 1088   110
   15:  524    66
   10:   19     5
-------------------
Total: 2442   315  Total Score = 2,291,625

Club: Willamette Valley DX Club

Comments:

Our score this year was an improvement over the 2009 ARRL DX SSB by almost a
factor of 2. The difference was twice the Qs on 40 and 15. Thank you to more
Asian and Oceana stations. The other bands were about equal except for the
possibilities on 20m. Finally we had openings on 20m to Europe both mornings
with Sunday the better. So now we have conditions where we can run Europe for
hours, working first, and second and third tier stations.

It’s the first time in recent years from the West Coast. But we have to share
the frequency with 2 to 6 fellow east coast and Europe amateurs who now become
professionals, they know the value of a good spot, and hold their ground.  Even
with the economic downturn world wide, 20m property prices are sky high. How
much would we pay for an unobstructed 2.4 kilohertz of the magnetic spectrum
between 14150 and 14350 for a weekend? The 20m result this year in Oregon is
100 more Qs and 3 less mults. Only a slight improvement compared to last year
but with much better conditions. So if 20m is even better next year, we may end
up only being able to search and pounce Europe here in the Northwest. Of the 524
Qs on 15m, we worked only a handful of Europe, the MUF here did not allow.
Again, thank you Asia and Oceana.

The team this contest was mostly the regular suspects with a few replacements.
It was a come and go affair all weekend made possible by K2PO, WS7L, and K7RF
coming at midnight each night to carry the late night load. Both chairs were
filled most of the weekend and we still had time to eat, drink, and have a
great time. What a fun group of hard working operators. Thank you. We will be
back.