[3830] ARRLDX SSB N8II SOSB/20 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 8 17:11:12 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SOSB/20 HP
QTH: WV

Total:  700    89  Total Score = 186,900

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

An interesting weekend, but the wow factor wasn't quite there on 15 and 10 was
really poor.

Saturday was spent at W3LPL on 15M. 21219 KHz was the run spot that had been in
use when K3MM switched over to 20M; it was pretty clear as the band really
started opening direct path to EU; it was a testament to Frank's triple 5 el
yagi stack on a 200 ft tower that scatter path EU's in numbers called in well
before the band opened direct path; as I recall about 1250Z about 1 hour after
sunrise the band opened to EU. The frequency was far from clear at times with
USA big guns running close by on both sides and a K1 tried very unsuccessfully
to steal our spot zero beat to us. There were some good rates, but we never
were called anyone from LY, YL, ES, or UA2 or were able to find them with
spots. A very few RA3's made it into the log and it was maybe 2 hours until the
first UR was logged. That was made up for by many Q's with DL, I, EA, F, and PA.
Several SM's were quite loud. SU, A7, 7Z's, and 4Z's called in. After the band
closed to EU rather early, it got tiring calling CQ. But, rare DX would call in
often enough to make it worthwhile and we passed quite a few mults from 15 to 20
and vice versa. Some of the rarer callers included 5X1NH and H44MS. Skip was
long enough that the northern Caribbean was skipping over us from around HI and
KP4 to all the spots closer. Condx to the Pacific were surprisingly poor with
even the KH6's below S9 most of the time. JA's were first worked very early
around 21Z, but they never were above weak levels and very few answered CQ's.
By 2240Z, Asia was nearly gone. Hats off to the LPL crew, especially the night
crew which did great the first night including K1HTV on 160, NI1N on 75, and
KD4D + WR3Z on 40, and K3RA. 40 was still running DL's at 1100 local in
Germany! The second night at 24Z, 75 was running EU very well.

Day 2, I was back at home and didn't plan to do much, but running EU was so
easy except for pulling the weak ones thru the QRM that I put in a few hours in
between a walk on the C&O Canal NHP and helping around the house. The towpa The
activity from the Netherlands on 20 was incredible rivaling DL! Quite a few of
the 25W PD/PE's and QRP stations had good signals.