[3830] ARRLDX SSB KT8K SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Mar 10 17:15:44 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KT8K
Operator(s): KT8K
Station: KT8K

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: EN82cg SE Michigan

  160:    0     0
   80:    6     6
   10:    0     0
-------------------
Total:  183   112  Total Score = 61,488

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Man - that was tough going (but what do I expect for 5 Watts and wires in the
trees).  I went in dreadfully short on sleep and wound up burning out, getting
my act back together, and soldiering on at least 3 times.  (Burning out: maybe
it;'s just me, but there are times when I am making <10 Q's hour and, in my
exhaustion, start saying to myself "Why are you DOING this to yourself?  You
call this FUN??")

The hours N1MM reported were far shorter than my time at the rig. It apparently
doesn't know when I am spinning the dial, pushing buttons, and screaming my
lungs out, and when I haven't made a QSO in some period of time (15 minutes?)
it decides I am taking a break ... I figured I was on more than 30 hours - that
tells you how tough the going was.

The crowding on 20 meters was insane, but 40m was equally bad - if a signal
covers 2500 Hz and everyone tries to pack in between 7125 and 7200 I estimated
500 stations would stack in about 17 deep.  Now THAT's crowded.  Darned hard to
be heard in there, but a couple of dozen stations did hear me, and I appreciate
it.

Thanks to all for the points.  I hope to work you all (and a whole lot more) in
the WPX.  Best reception and 73 de kt8k - Tim