[3830] ARRLDX SSB PI4TUE M/S HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Fri Mar 12 13:39:25 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: PI4TUE
Operator(s): PC5A, PE2HD, ON9CC
Station: PI4TUE

Class: M/S HP
QTH:

Total: 1675   193  Total Score = 969,825

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

TRX:         TenTec Orion I
Amp:         ACOM 1000, Henry
Ant:         2 sloping vertical's @250ft
             80M horizontal full size loop
             HF2V (40M)
             SteppIR (3 ele, 20/15/10)

After our personal record breaking score in ARRLDX CW we hoped to top that in
the SSB part. One of the Op's canceled due to illness so we were with 3. The
first night went as expected, good runs on the 3 low bands where 40M was best.
Peak hour was from 04-05Z with 102 Q's on 80M. Last station worked was WD8CQB
just after 08Z (only 400Q's in the log so far...) In the CW part we could work
stations until much later where we seamlessly moved from 40M to 20M. In the SSB
part we had a gap from 8-10Z. First station to work on 20M was VY2TT followed by
the first US station K3LR, a half  hour later KM1W. 15M never opened up nicely
(sunday was even worse) so it was back on 20M a lot. Peak hour there was 20-21Z
with 118Q's. We stopped on 20M around 22Z (1090Q's in the log). This was
definitely not going to become a better score that the CW part. QSO rates
dropped to < 10 on 40&80M. So we decided to take a 4 hour break. From 04:00Z
until 7 QSO rates were still low (~30), but still 40 new QSO's on 160M without
any proper RX antenna was not too bad... ;-). Around 10:30Z the first station
on 20M was worked (VO1BBN), then another hour of silence until K5ZD was
workable. The rest of the afternoon we spent on 15 and 20M but QSO rates
remained low. An amazing uplift happend from 20-21Z on 20M: 131 QSO's, followed
by another 89 the next hour, after which we decided to stop and head home.

Surprisingly we made quite some 5 band QSO's, I'm sure some could have become
even 6 band QSO's if 10M would have opened...:
K0TV,K1LZ,K1TO,K1TTT,K2AX,K3CR,K3LR,K3TC,K3WW,K5ZD,K8PO,K9RS,KB1H,KC1XX,KM1W,N1LN,NC1I,NE3F,NN2W,VY2ZM,W1BV,W1QK,W2IRT,W3LPL,W4MYA,W4RM,W5RU,WA3EKL,WE3C.

The audio clippings are available upon request or will be on line after the
final log submission date.

Best 73,
-- Aurelio, PC5A