[3830] ARRLDX SSB KH7X(@KH6YY) M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 14 00:59:56 PST 2010

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: KH7X
Operator(s): KH6ND, AH6OZ, NH6XO, KH7U, K7NV
Station: KH6YY

Class: M/M HP
QTH: KH6

   40: 2086    61
   20: 2671    62
   15: 2162    59
Total: 8547   311  Total Score = 7,974,351

Someone thought I should post this.......

This was some kind of fantastic radio fun for this little guy from Nevada!

I had no plan to be on the air for this contest, thought I'd just be working,
like always......my little station isn't that much fun in anything!

But, I got a call from my KH6 friends the weekend before the contest.
"Hey Kurt, how about coming out to op with us?"

Well, er..awh...um...ok maybe....

I found myself on a flight out of freezing Reno, just about to dump lots of
snow, to go be in shorts & t-shirts with the KH6YY gang!

Kudos to Alex, KH6YY, and Mike, KH6ND, and the rest of the guys there (KH7U,
AH6OZ, NH6XO) for their commitment & hard work improving this legendary
station! They have done an awesome job!

Mike had been modeling everything, antennas & terrain to find the best
solutions for their site, and rebuilding things to the new station
designs.....the station is still a work in progress, not done yet, but gonna
get done with all their hard work. There is no doubt, it plays quite well!

A few hours before the contest, we had some drama getting all the computers up
and happy......after that Mike had to climb the 80m tower to put the dipole
broadside to NA....it had been raining incessantly, but at that time we had a
break in the wx.....
Mike got down off the tower and we all went into the shack a couple of minutes
before the start to try to find run freq's...

Although, it was a slow late disjointed start, the first hour was mighty
fine....think I saw the short term rate up around 680 with only 2 bands
happening ;-)

There were supposed to be a lot more ops on site from the East coast & EU, but
these plans fell apart at the last minute, so it was just a 4 man operation
with KH6ND, AH6OZ, NH6XO, and myself....Kimo, KH7U was able to show up and give
me a short break Friday night, before the 80m grayline opening across NA.....tnx
Kimo, great to get to see you again ;-)

We had the 160m amp go up in smoke the second night while Walt (AH6OZ) was
running....that was no problem for these guys, while I was running on another
band...they just did the fire drill and put another amp in the breach!

10m was horrible the first day....but then it opened up to the West Coast
Sunday....then when it was all happening... another problem happened, which
shut the 10m staion down...we scrambled 2 ops to fix it, while the other 2 ops
ran......and we sorted that one out and got it up and running again.

The last 4 hours of the contest were a complete delight, with so many NA ops
willing to move as we passed them to our other stations.
Thanks Guys! That was some real fun!

What can I say......what the heck do I know about what one needs to do with a
microphone?  I'm just a CW guy....
But my friends let me come out and sit in with them, and get a little Fone
rate, and have some great fellowship ;-)

Our "Contest Meister" KH6ND, kept us hopping....nobody got much sleep, contests
are not for sleeping eh?

I count myself very fortunate to get to go on a total speed run to be with this
group of hard chargers for a weekend of contest drama!

It just doesn't get much better than that!
Thanks guys!

73, Kurt, K7NV
For the KH7X Crew