[3830] Commonwealth GM4FAM Open-12 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Mar 16 01:35:39 PDT 2010

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: GM4FAM
Operator(s): GM4FAM
Station: GM4FAM

Class: Open-12 HP
QTH: nr INVERNESS

Total:  275  Total Score = 5,655

Club: GMDX

Comments:

Another great event.
Improving HF condx helped to increase claimed score by 22% over my previous
best.
80 and 40 disappointing (no VK6 worked on 80), 20 and 15 excellent, and 10m
opened sufficiently to snag 2 x VK6 (great to hear Oz for first time in at
least 3 years) - glad I reserved 1/2 an hour for possible band opening Sunday
morning.
With contacts now possible on 5 bands from these Northern climes choosing
operating times in the 12 hour section is becoming more and more difficult for
score optimisation, so will do 24 hours next year - its bad for the nerves when
20 minutes into rest period lots of nice signals suddenly appear and the next 40
minutes pass incredibly slowly while praying the band doesn't close again (10m
Sunday morning!).
The usual antennas used - 76ft vertical for 80, a 1/4 wave vert for 40 and also
15, a delta loop at 38ft on 20, and a homebrew 2 ele Moxon at 20ft for 10m.
Must comment on the excellent participation from India and the superb VE3EJ
sigs coupled with John's operating style (he was everywhere!).
Thanks to all for the QSOs and to the RSGB HFCC for organising a great contest
while resisting calls for various changes.
73 Cris
GM4FAM