[3830] Commonwealth VE3FU Open-24 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Mar 18 20:46:54 PDT 2010

                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: VE3FU
Operator(s): VE3FU
Station: VE3FU

Class: Open-24 HP
QTH:

Total:  736  Total Score = 8,220

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

Tower 1
160m: Inverted-L (72ft vertical)
40m: Vertical Dipole
20/15/10m: Explorer-14 at 72ft

Tower 2
80m: Wire Vertical
40m: Inverted-Vee at 72ft
20/15/10m: TH-6 at 72ft (rotatable), TH-6 at 42ft (fixed on EU)

2x TS-950SD
2x TL-922

My comments from last year were about the constant noise that I had and the
need for RX antennas.  The noise, whatever it was, is gone and I
put up a 300ft reversible (NE/SE) Beverage.

The 5 10m QSOs were with 3 "local" (~50km) VE2's and 2 Caribbean stations.
J6/G3PJT moved to 10m when asked but we couldn't make the QSO.
Thanks for trying Bob!  I was hearing PY's, LU's, and FM5CD off and on for a
good part of the day but never heard anyone calling "CQ BERU".

Previous to this contest, I've worked 4 VU2's, the last one in the BERU in
2003.  I had 5 different VU2's call me this year for 6 QSOs, 1 on
15m and 5 on 20m.  4 of the 5 20m QSOs were within 15 minutes!  I heard another
VU2 working VE3EJ on 40m but couldn't get his attention.

The VK's/ZL's were really strong on 20m between 030Z and 04Z.

VP2MCC was loud, especially on 40m and 80m.

I think I heard ZL6HQ just about every hour on some band.  They were
everywhere!

Bonus Stations: VA3RAC, VE7RAC, VO1RAC, GB5CC, ZL6HQ

495 QSOS in the first 12 hours, 248 in the last 12 hours.  The last hour was
brutal though!  I made 2 QSOs and one was a dupe!

131 Band Call Areas

Like many others have reported, this was my best score ever in the BERU!

Here's a breakdown of some of my log:

	QSOs	Raw	Dupes	Bonus	HQ
80m	120	121	1	39	4
40m	180	181	1	63	4
20m	258	262	4	60	5
15m	173	174	1	43	5
10m	5	5	0	0	0
	736	743	7	210	17

G:	494 QSOs (including HQ and dupes) with 258 unique stations
VK:	25  QSOs with 15 unique stations
ZL:	26  QSOs (including HQ) with 11 unique stations
ZS:	 7  QSOs with 4 unique stations

80m
G:	73
VK:	1
ZL:	4
ZS:	0

40m
G:	104
VK:	15
ZL:	10
ZS:	2

20m
G:	191
VK:	7
ZL:	6
ZS:	2

15m
G:	126
VK:	2
ZL:	6
ZS:	3

Still one of my favourite contests!  Thanks for all the QSOs!

73,

Chris