[3830] NCCC Sprint K6VVA LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu Mar 18 22:57:50 PDT 2010

                    NCCC Sprint - March 19

Call: K6VVA
Operator(s): K6VVA
Station: K6VVA

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Locust Peak (Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): 9 mins

  160:   6     3
Total:   6     3  Total Score = 18

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

An unexpected Murphy strike tonight shortly before the NS.  Talk about a low
score!

I had made a nice salmon dinner with mashed potatoes, sliced tomatoes
acommpanied by a glass of Cabernet 2 hours before the NS.  Plenty of sunshine
here this week for solar battery power.  So the plan was to take a leisurely
approach to getting all set to rock 'n roll in the NS tonight.

The only strange thing I noticed on the home QTH netbook confuzer in the remote
food chain was a low battery warning which has never happened before.  I checked
the power plug on the back and at the A/C outlet and all was fine.

Before 0230UTC, Art/K5ZD was kind enough to do an remote A/B test with me and
then WHAM.  The home confuzer went QRT.  I had fortunately moved the paddles
back into the shack from the kitchen table and reconected the TS-480 Control
Head to the home rig after the last remote KP2 tests.  So I rapidly flipped on
the home rig and kinda-sorta finished up with Art and a had a fast mini-Q with
Todd/WD0T.  Sorry I had to bail so quick, guys.

The next 20 minutes were spent rebooting and rebooting confuzers on both ends
of the remote link.  Finally got things working again and decided at that point
to make it a single band 160m NS event and check out the boredom factor on 160m.
 At 0251UTC N6RO answered my CQ (I think Ken might actually have a 3rd RX parked
on that frequency - ha ha ha :^)

>From there is was multiple unanswered CQ's and about time for a nap until
finally getting a few Left Coast responses.  Bill/K0UK also called before the
final bell with a good signal.  Heard K9BGL and a few others above the noise
but naturally got stomped.

I had hoped Mr. Tractor would be able to repair the Locust Peak road from the
recent major earthslide before the weekend, but he is QRL so am now stuck for a
while unable to get up the mountain for needed antenna work.

The other night a snippet was on the TV News about a ZL company that has just
come out with a whiz band Jet Pack that can whisk the wearer to 8,000 feet up
in the air.  I only need to go 1,400 feet, but at $100,000 USD (probably before
import duties), that ain't in ye old budget.

I'm hoping to implement a workaround to the current high latency CW keying
issues with KP2, so if we get it going in time, I may be QRV next week to hand
out the rare VI (NS) mult again as KP2/K6VVA or KP2CW.

73 & I hope everyone has a great weekend...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust