[3830] Rus DX W4IX SO CW LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 21 14:54:23 PDT 2010

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: SO CW LP
QTH: SC

  160:    5     0         2         0
   80:   11     0         9         0
   40:  139     0        37         5
   20:  330     0        47        42
   15:  175     0        49        12
   10:   31     0        14         0
Total:  691     0       158        59  Total Score = 820,260

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Had 2 problems before this one: 1. My TS940 crapped out several weeks ago. 2. My
TS830 will not work with my VK-64 Keyer. So I was either going to work LP SSB or
nothing at all. So now I am driving home from Philadelphia on Thursday night (
arrived home at 11:00 AM, and got an idea, I would call my good friend Don
(W4OC) who mentioned he had a IC-765 I could borrow, so I stopped by his house
on the way home from Philly, and asked if he could get it out for me, he said
he would work on getting it ready for me. I went home and played around with my
wire antennas a little and did a few odd jobs around the house before taking a
short 2-3 hour nap. Woke up around 7 and gave Don a call, he said he had it up
on the bench and it seemed to be ok so I drove over, picked it up and went back
home, hooked it up and got it ready for the morning. So the fact was I did not
get much rest but still wanted to do a full 24 hours in this one but it was not
to be. Around 10:00 PM I got the most vicious headache and had to pull the
plug..oh well, I still had fun until the end. It was a shocker when 5H3EE
called me on 10 meters (found out they were QRP) wow!! also working some
Europeans on 10 with 100 watts on backscatter was awesome. Worked 7P8 & 5N50
but both were not in the test. 5N7M peaked at 20 over 9. 15 meters was good to
Europe but not many Russians. 40 was good and the sloper I put up before the
test seemed to play well for LP. 80 was noisy and I didnt spend much time there
or on 160. Now 20 meters was awesome. I dont think I ever worked so many UA9's
or UA0's. I even had XU7ACY in around 0200Z but he could not copy my 100 watts.
I like the RDXC and will be back..73's and look for me on 40 meters at NQ4I in
the CQWW WPX SSB Contest next weekend...John
RIG - Icom IC765 @ 100 watts
5 ele. old 105BAS @ 45 feet for 10 meters
TH7DX for 10-20 meters @ 40 feet
40 meter sloper @ 30 feet
Combination 40 & 160 dipole @ 40 feet
Wire vertical with 6 radials for 80 meters
300 foot beverage in the woods