[3830] Rus DX G0CKV SOSB/40 LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 21 16:01:47 PDT 2010

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: G0CKV
Operator(s): G0CKV
Station: G0CKV

Class: SOSB/40 LP
QTH: London IO91SI

   40:  410    107       63        65
Total:  410    107       63        65  Total Score = 452,864

K3 barefoot to wet string in suburban London. Almost all qsos were S&P and only
20% on SSB - RDXC has no SOSB LP or CW only category. It is challenging and fun
to work low power on 40 among all those big signals with sharp elbows. Having
said that I must admit that I had few if any issues with operating practice by
anyone in this contest - except that there are still a handful of poor signals
out there with horrible key clicks and a couple worse than that with a QRO
amplifier out of control. Condx must have been pretty good because I could work
almost anything I heard beyond the big pileups where I would always end up last
with this setup. 40m was more or less dead between South UK and UA midday +/- 3
hours, something I probably should have known if I had done my homework.
Focusing on relaxed S&P I didn’t build volume or serious rate and I missed
all those multipliers who don’t CQ but only call running stations. I also
missed several ridiculously easy DXCC multipliers probably because I got
carried away by looking for oblasts and learning Russian geography. It was all
great fun and I am sure it would have been even more fun with less suburban
noise and a real antenna. My sincere apologies to those russian SSB stations
who suffered my attempts to spell my call using russian phonetics - this caused
total confusion; I guess I have to prepare better next time.