[3830] Rus DX W6YI(N6MJ) SO Mixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Mar 24 22:08:31 PDT 2010

                    Russian DX Contest

Call: W6YI
Operator(s): N6MJ
Station: W6YI

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: CA

  160:    3      0        2         0
   80:   31      5       10         2
   40:  279    132       61        40
   20:  299    237       63        59
   15:   88    247       54         6
   10:   12    112       11         0
Total:  712    733      201       107  Total Score = 1,981,980

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

There are some things about this contest that are great, and some things that
suck.  When the band is open to UA, the rates are great and its alot of fun.
When the band isnt open to UA, the rates are horrible and all you can do is beg
for qso's.  Unfortunately from CA, we only have an hour or 2 in the morning, and
2 or 3 hours in the evening where a band is open to UA.

I wasnt planning on doing this one at all this year, but decided at the last
minute to do it.  N6OX was nice enough to lend me his K3, so I got a chance to
use it on both modes in this contest.  Ive only used a K3 once before, and I
really need to get used to it before WRTC.  I feel much more comfortable with
it now.  So in that respect, the contest was a success.

Conditions were actually very good comapared to past years.  I even managed to
work a few EU on 10m which came as a total surprise.  15m was open well to
Western EU, but no opening to UA to speak of.  I had a real nice run on 40m to
UA around 03z.  Conditions on 40m were outstanding.. the EU were nice and loud,
and didnt need to ask for any repeats.  There was very little activity from Zone
19, which was a disappointment.  I would CQ for hours on end in that direction,
and not work a single UA0.

Its always fun to work those UA's, but this contest is just real tough from out
here.  Im not sure if I will do it again next year.

73,

Dan N6MJ