[3830] WPX SSB ND0C SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 28 17:19:37 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: ND0C
Operator(s): ND0C
Station: ND0C

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Minnesota

Club: Minnesota Wireless Association

Comments:

This is the first time in several years I didn't have any major scheduling
conflicts with the WPX weekend so was finally able to go pretty much full-bore.
 As usual for me (with QRP and mediocre antennas) it was 99.9% S&P

20 was the usual mess - crowded from top to bottom and splatter all over, which
was complicated by the fact that my receiver front end is overloading very
badly.  I even used the old Argonaut a litte just to get some relief.  Nearly
every European QSO was painful on 20.  Late in the afternoon and evening 20 was
better to EU and there were some decent openings over the pole to Asia late in
the evening.  40 and 80 were tough - seemed like a lot of noise aside from all
the QRM.  15 was pretty decent and it was great to see some openings on 10 -
but no Europe on 10.

I only heard a few JAs and couldn't work a single one.  I did get some Pacific
stuff though. I had a blast but am content to not listen to splatter and noise
for a couple days!  It is still amazing to me that 5 watts can do what it does
and is certainly a tesiment to the good ears and persistence on the other end.
Thanks for the patience with the repeats and fills!

Station: Yaesu FT-897 (at 5 watts out) and Argonaut 509 (at 3 watts out)
Antennas: Wilson SY-3 tribander Yagi at 15 meters and dipoles for 40 and 80

73,
Randy, ND0C

As always: "You don't have to be crazy to run QRP ... but it helps!"