[3830] WPX SSB AE5PW SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 28 17:56:39 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AE5PW
Operator(s): AE5PW
Station: AE5PW

Class: SOAB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

As a relative newcomer to HF (since mid-2008), I have often
heard stories about how you can actually have QSOs on 10 meters
instead of just listening to static.  I thought those hams were just
making stories up about what happens when there are sunspots and
a decent solar flux.

Imagine my surprise when I found 10 meter activity in the opening minutes
of the contest!  And then tuning to 15 meters there was even more.  As a
very very little gun, I focused my efforts on 10 and 15 only, and 90% of it
was search and pounce.  I did call CQ on 15 meters for a couple hours
and was pleased to have actual takers.  Thanks to all of you who answered
my very weak CQ calls!

The station here is simple - a Yaesu FT950 running 100 watts with a Butternut
HF9V vertical, ground mounted.  As I always say in these soapbox comments,
I never cease to be amazed at what such a simple setup can do.

I did manage to pick up 4 new DXCC entities on 10 meters, and another
4 new ones on 15 meters.

Thank you to all the friendly participants in this contest.  I look forward
to the next one!