[3830] WPX SSB WK5T(N2IC) SOSB15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun Mar 28 19:54:36 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: WK5T
Operator(s): N2IC
Station: N2IC

Class: SOSB15 HP
QTH:

   15: 2172

Being mostly a CW guy, I needed a serious SSB tuneup in preparation for
WRTC-2010. Had originally planned on SOAB, but a sick 40 meter rotator changed
that plan into a 15 meter single-band effort.

Very different propagation than I expected. With this being the equinox, I
expected the northern paths to EU and JA to be very good. Boy, was I wrong. The
band closed to JA on Friday and Saturday nights even before local sunset. Even
worse, there was no JA opening at the end of the contest on Sunday. After
sunset, the opening simply moved southward over the next 2 hours - first to
BY/YB/HS, then down to VK/ZL before closing around 0330Z. I never knew there
were so many BY, YB and VK contesters ! Great to hear this !

The morning EU opening both days was a short spotlight opening. On Saturday,
the light was on F and EA. On Sunday, it was mostly PA and DL, closing abruptly
around 16Z. Only a handful of G's worked all weekend, and they were very, very
weak.

Thank you to all the USA stations in W1,2,3,4,8. From here in SW NM, that was
as short as the skip ever got. Until 21Z Sunday, it was a bottomless pit. It's
going to be simply amazing at the peak of the cycle, with much shorter skip
length.

Had an awful lot of dupes (~75). The 2nd time they called, I simply worked
them. The third time they called, I reminded them that they worked me twice
before !

73,
Steve, N2IC