[3830] WPX SSB KP2/NE1RD SOSB15 QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 29 03:17:42 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KP2/NE1RD
Operator(s): NE1RD
Station: KP2/NE1RD

Class: SOSB15 QRP
QTH: St. Thomas

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

I was 15m QRP for this contest from St. Thomas, USVI, and used a 2-el Yagi with
an 8-foot boom made from Buddipole parts. Our villa is about half way up a
peninsula on the northern side of the island 180 feet above sea level with a
steep drop to the Atlantic. There is only blue water between me and NA and EU.
SA, alas, is behind the hill that separates us from Megens Bay. So, all those
juicy SA multipliers were hard to come by.
I was able to run much of Saturday and nearly all of Sunday. A great location
plus sunspots made for an amazing combination. The current NA 15m QRP record is
544K--my claimed score is 676K! Unless my fat fingers have betrayed me, I will
have set a new NA record. (The top 4 world scores for 15m QRP are held by
Russians. At best, I might slip into 3rd all time.)
This is my first contest in over a year, my first contesting "100 Pound
DXpedition" since 2007, and a new destination and property. I didn't know what
to expect. Certainly, I didn't expect this! I'm obviously pleased, surprised,
and perhaps a little shocked. I might have to come back here next year!