[3830] WPX SSB LZ9W M/M HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 29 09:06:52 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: LZ9W
Operator(s): LZ9W
Station: LZ9W

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Breznik

   80: 1127
   40: 1757
   20: 1944
   15: 1361

Club: LZ CONTEST TEAM

Comments:

Once it was a time when most of EU contesters did not know the meaning of GU 78,
"OM Power" or "ACOM" words. Very few were using power over say 500 W. Those were
good times for us guys in most Eastern part of Europe :-).
Now with "regular" kilowats in may be every 10th or so European contester's
shack we turned here into Europe's "west coast". The curtain of strong Western
European signals prevent us picking up any US signal which is less than 57 - 58
on Balkan peninsula. Back in the past 6 el monobander on 20m was more than
enough. Now 6 over 6 over 6 are not :-(.

Weather was nice at the start of the contest with temps abt 18 - 20 deg C.
Condx were good and we were in par with DR1A guys for a while :-).On Saturday
very early morning temps dropped down suddenly and around 6 o'clock local time
we've been faced with temp of 2deg C and heavy snow for about two hours. This
meaned one thing - high noise on all bands. When snow stopped a very strong
wind started blowing and in couple of minutes SWR of our 40m 4 el monobander
went in the sky because one of the driven elements broke. Our 40m HB9CV is
tuned for CW portion of the band, so we continued with bad SWR and just about
800 W from our ACOM to prevent it from switching off after almost every
transmission. /i.e. power used by some to drive their final PA's ;- ) ! /
Condx on 15 m were good, although somewhat opening to USA was of shorter
duration than usual. Good activity from Japan and China.

Beside all the problems we are happy with our score - it is the best ever score
we made in WPX SSB during our years of M/M contesting.

See you all in WPX CW.

73, de Wally
on behalf of LZ9W M/M Contest Team