[3830] WPX SSB KZ2V(@W6YX) M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 29 11:23:33 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: KZ2V
Operator(s): K6UFO,KZ2V,W6RK,N7MH,AA6XV,N6CCH,K6TT
Station: W6YX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: CA

   40: 1108
   20: 1230
   15: 1250

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Thanks to Mark, K6UFO, for organizing our effort and to Nick, KZ2V, for the use
of his call.

We weren't able to schedule operators for both stations for the entire 48 hours
but managed to have at least one station on the air for all but about an hour
and a half of the contest.  We had more than one operator for 23 out of the 47
hours we were on the air.

Our 6-element 20 meter Yagi began acting up on Saturday, causing interference
on other bands unless we reduced power well below 1 KW.  This was apparently
also causing splatter on 20.  Our apologies to anyone we unintentionally
QRMed.

On Sunday morning K6TT took over the 20-meter position and Phil was having
trouble working most European stations and no luck at all CQing.  He claimed
that our low US-pointing fixed 5-element Yagi was hearing EU better than the
6-element Yagi.  Apparently whatever was causing the issues on Saturday had
gotten significantly worse but the big Yagi was still working well enough that
we were able to work a few stations with it.  After a few hours of extremely
low rates on 20 we switched to the fixed US antenna, rates picked up
dramatically, and we finished out the contest with it.

Congratulations to the other M/2 stations participating in the "West Coast
Shootout".  If we had been able to fill out our operator schedule we might have
been more competitive.

-Mike, N7MH