[3830] WPX SSB K5ER SOAB HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Mar 29 23:29:29 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: K5ER
Operator(s): K5ER
Station: K5ER

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Louisiana

Club: Louisiana Contest Club

Comments:

WPX is one of my favorite contests. Many thanks to Randy and all the team for
the work on the rules, web site, scores database, and all the behind the scenes
work that goes into making it more enjoyable for all the participants.

While doing some tree cutting in the fall, the unfortunate happened and I lost
a tower and a couple of intermediate length tri-banders. I still had a good
tri-bander and 2el-40 up, but without the ability to instantly switch
direction, I didn't expect to come near my previous score.

>From the upper gulf south, I can run a decent rate for a small station, but
find it difficult to sustain a high rate for an extended time. Having only half
the aluminum up, the Q's just weren't going in the log as fast as I would have
hoped. During a scheduled off time, I checked my email and had a message from
friend and cross town rival, (and fellow Louisiana Contest Club member) Scott,
W5WZ. It was one of those "I'm ahead and you can't catch me" kind of things
that only a friend would do. Apparently it was just what I needed. In the end,
he did out point me, with his complete stacked antenna station and more
agressive style, but I was able to close the gap by several hundred Q's, making
about 46% of my total during the 2nd day.

The extra push was enough to top my previous high score!  Also had several high
points, including PJ2T calling me on my run freq, and the fact that 4 previous
non-contesters from my home town got on and made Q's, in part from contest club
members talking up the fun of contesting. Go Louisiana Contest Club!

Oh, don't feel bad about the lost tower. With the tree and Rohn 25 out of the
way. a new taller Rohn 55, fully loaded with stacked aluminum is already in the
works. Maybe next year, I'll be the one to send the "guess who's ahead?" email.

Thanks everyone for the Q's and fun!

73,
Mark, K5ER

Louisiana Contest Club