[3830] WPX SSB TI5N(W8QZA) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Wed Mar 31 14:10:46 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: TI5N
Operator(s): W8QZA
Station: TI5KD

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Costa Rica

Club: Southern California Contest Club

Comments:

Rig: Elecraft K-2 (5 Watts)

Antennas at TI5KD:

Quad up 25 meters, 4 el 10M, 3 el 15M and 20M
TH6 Tribander up 25 meters
2 el yagi for 40M up 30 meters
2 el 40M Quad fixed at 20 degrees
80M loop with apex up 27 meters

What a contest! 20 and 15 were better because of the return of the sunspots.

But the major factor was 10 meters. 10 was open the first hour of the contest
on Friday evening, and I was able to run 80 stations in the SE USA. On
Saturday, 10 meters opened at 19:30 Z and I was able to run 230 more stations,
mostly in the eastern and midwestern USA over the next three hours. Then on
Sunday it opened at 16:30 Z and I was able to run an incredible 450 Qs over the
next seven hours! Again, these were almost exclusively eastern and midwestern
USA with an occasional LU or PY coming through off the back of the quad.

During the 10 meter run on Sunday, I worked a lot of stations that gave me very
low numbers, often under 10 and a good number of 001. One fellow claimed I was
his very first Q ever! I frequently had to stop the run to explain what a
contest is and what the number means. I also added that there were other
stations who would love to have a call from them, ...especially when they had a
good prefix!

The most astounding Q I had in the contest came near noon on Sunday when after
logging endless numbers of USA and VE stations on 10 meters suddenly an
accented voice came through announcing his call as IW9HII. We were both
astounded and confirmed our calls and exchanges several times before going on!
He was the only European I heard on 10 meters during the contest.

It was certainly fun to be able to run stations once again over long periods of
time with QRP. And I certainly enjoyed those wonderful meals that only Sophie
can prepare, ...and serve at the operating position! And thanks (once again) to
Keko and Sophia for the use of their super contest station! And thanks to Keko
and my long time friend Phil (N0KE) for their operating and strategy
suggestions.

See you in WPX CW, this time from W0LSD's station in Colorado.

....Bill   W8QZA