[3830] MARAC CW N8II Fixed HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Thu May 27 12:16:19 PDT 2010

                    MARAC CW QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Fixed HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~21

Total:  482  Counties = 374  Total Score = 1,084,226

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

My daughter just earned her drivers license a few days before the "mega QP
weekend" and had to take the SAT's on Saturday AM. Sweet, I thought, she can
drive herself. About 8AM the phone rings, "Dad, I forgot my calculator", so a 2
hour gap in activity ensued during which I dressed, delivered, picked-up produce
and walked the dog.

The weekend was about as expected. Only 2 diehard mobiles were active during
waking hours, Norm W3DYA, and Jeff W9MSE. On Saturday afternoon, W9MSE was so
weak on 40 that I heard him S&P'ing INQP stations more often than calling CQ
and he was inaudible on 20. Thankfully, the rest of the weekend between him in
WI and here was better. Other mobiles active were Ed KN4Y who I missed many
times active all day Saturday, W4SIG, W9HB, KA3QLF, and N9JF as well as N9QS
and AI5P not really in the contest. I seriously worked the INQP (see post) and
made 49 15 point Q's with IN mobiles and more with portable WT9U to add 73
counties from IN only, fb!

Condx on 20 were noticeably worse than 2009 with much less sporadic E; 40 was
my biggest band by far this year whereas 20 was best by far in '09. Sorry, I
forgot to note the exact breakdown. 80 was very noisy which hurt activity, but
signals were good. The skip zone on 40 stayed relatively short most of the
early night which made for many Q's and lots of NEQP, 7QP, and INQP activity.
It was very difficult to work fixed stations in New England on 20/15 and nearly
impossible to work mobiles (managed at least one Q) except for a brief Es
opening around noon Sunday. The NEQP mobiles always seem to ignore 40 during
the day with the excetpion of WA1Z who had a good signal from up in ME all day
which makes for many missed Q's and counties from here. Q's from 7QP were way
down despite very good 20M condx due to missing those 2 hours and concentrating
on INQP. I made one pass thru 20M in the 20Z hour and the 7QP mobiles "aligned"
or line-up perfectly for me working about all of those who were active in the
space of just over 10 minutes.

Many thanks to all of the mobiles! I probably worked W3DYA the most, follwed by
W9MSE, N9JF, KN4Y, and W4SIG. See you again for more QP "madness" next May.