[3830] WPX CW KP2CW(@KV4FZ) M/S LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Sun May 30 17:24:08 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KP2CW
Operator(s): K6VVA +
Station: KV4FZ

Class: M/S LP
QTH: KP2 (Via Remote)
Operating Time (hrs): 12:55

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Another test of the longer-haul path remote contesting adventure (misadventure?)
from K6 land to KP2.  We are still wrestling with off-the-charts Internet
latency fluctation issues until a new high-speed wireless service starts up
next month.  I was the only on-air operator, but due to lack of specific
clarification in the rules (and in an abundance of caution for the contest
lawyers), this entry will be submitted MULTI-SINGLE for the reasons indicated.

The original plan was to do single operator, part-time, single-band 20m, with
everything ready to go including KV4FZ tuning the AL-80B and putting the beam
fixed between EU and the USA (no remote rotor control yet) BEFORE the contest
started.  From that point, I would just see how things did or did not work as a
legit Single Operator.

Murphy struck before the contest - the logging software stopped keying the
WKUSB, although the Winkey Test program verified that the Serial port was
working and I could get CW that way.  0000 UTC came and went and I was SOL ;-(

So even though I had not been able to send a single dit in the contest, asince
Herb's son Eric then started helping me troubleshoot the Confuzer, that would
apparently shift me to a MULTI-SINGLE category.  Does this mean in a non-remote
venue, that if ANY SINGLE OP has a computer problem, and maybe hires a NON-HAM
computer guru to come to his or her house and fix a computer, that the computer
tech would be considered an operator for deterimining Single Op vs. Multi-Op?
Huh? Huh? ;-(

After over an hour of failed troubleshooting attempts to get the logger to key
the WKUSB, I decided to fire up from the K6VVA non-remote home station and at
least make a few Q's.  Later the idea came to TRY A DIFFERENT LOGGER in KP2.
Fortunately the TightVNC file transfer utility allowed me to QSY another logger
and install it remotely in KP2.  BINGO!!!  I almost wet my pants when things
started working.  But was I now actually in MULTI-SINGLE status because of help
with the remote computer?

I didn't give a crap at that point, and just wanted to make some QSOs.  So a
tad under 13 hours of periodic QRV followed until a total crash of the Internet
servicee about 45 minutes before the END of the contest {multiple explicatives
deleted}. Unfortunately, the amp had been turned off and it was tough sledding
with only 100 watts so less than 100 Q's on 20m the first hour.  I decided what
the heck and went to 40m.  With 100 watts to an inverted vee, the experience
less than  delightful.  On and off again QRV until I chucked it in.

After returning from a free breakfast (Tnx to W6SC) at a local radio club
meeting on Saturday morning and running a bunch of errands, I got back on 20m
Mid-day on Saturday.  Even though I was the only on-air op, since MULTI-SINGLE
appeared to be the cateogry I fell into due to assistance with computer, I had
Herb rotate the beam to EU and then back NW to the USA which would then
apparently make it an official (kinda-sorta) MULTI-SINGLE.  Is this correct?
Huh? Huh?

Based upon the probability of the new (Psuedo) MULTI-SINGLE category, I decided
to ask Herb to tune up the AL-80B on 40m for me so I wouldn't get so beat up
again.  Amazing what the extra horsepower did and enjoyed working a lot of EU's
for a change.  Packed it in early and retired to the couch for R&R to watch a
movie via Satellite.

Got up too late Sunday Morning and just heard the end of what sounded like a
great 15m opening to EU from KP2.  Decided to plow ahead on that band for a
while which was pretty much a loser with fading signals and lots of QSB by that
time, and then headed by to 20m for the duration (a/k/a final crash of the
Internet service BEFORE the end of the contest).

Apologizes to those who experienced the Internet related remote lock-up horror
show moments periodically for seconds at a time)... especially P48ADI ( had no
way to confirm our QSO due to a 10 second lock up).  Sorry, folks.

SUPER TNX to Herb, KV4FZ, and his son Eric for all their help in dealing with
various issues.  Much was learned from this latest remote test.

Equipment: TS-480 (via Remoterig), AL-80B, ASUS Netbook confuzer, WKUSB, and
terrible Internet service ;-(

73 & Tnx for the Q's, Mults (and patience during lock-ups and QLF moments) ...

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust
KP2CW (Trustee)