[3830] WPX CW DR2Q(DL8MBS) SOAB QRP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 31 00:15:30 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: DR2Q
Operator(s): DL8MBS
Station: DR2Q

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: Erfurt

Enjoyed my failed contest plan very much ;-)))

Having no time to build another reasonable antenna plus quite a few family
activities for the weekend to do I went with 40m-singleband and one radio. But
after 16 hours in the contest and 283 qsos I threw the plan out of the window
with the given condx. QRP is tough enough for all and so I switched to allband
for some relief.
So many little condx surprises made it really fun even with still the one
lowwire and one radio only (i.e. never heard and worked before so loud
HB9-stations on 20m only a few hundred kilometers away). Short-skip on the
highbands, a mostly fine 80m band and big activity (are there any Slovenians
not being licenced and active in WPX?) helped. Not expecting DX-runs with qrp I
can´t add a voice to a complaints-choir about condx (and btw this would sound a
bit like trail runners complaining about mud, treeroots and rain).

Still surprised about the big impact of spots. With qrp-"running"-rates you
hear it at once... Makes me wonder whether there are really guys out using only
spots as input in S&P.

Many thanks to so many patient and persistent ops digging out my signal
especially on 80m - to name only a few like 4L2M whom I never expected to mess
a bit with his rate, R9FM, UA9PC or EU1UN. Many said "sri" and thanks after
their repeated efforts, but I have to say THANK YOU. Also thanks to those who
quickly said "sri ltr" which also helps a lot.

Rig: K2
Ant: Halfwave InvL-doublet for 40m with the wide sagging 15m feederline shorted
for working 80m.

73, Chris

(www.dl8mbs.de)