[3830] WPX CW KE3X SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon May 31 10:27:58 PDT 2010

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KE3X
Operator(s): KE3X
Station: KE3X

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Washington, DC

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

We have just moved back to Washington, DC from Switzerland 4 weeks ago, and for
most of May we have been opening moving boxes nonstop (except for a quick 4-day
trip to Dayton for our first Contest University!)   So this was the first time I
had a chance to try out a radio in DC, after being warned by my new PVRC friends
about the potential for line noise from the street.

So I was pleasantly surprised with how quiet it was - only S1 noise.   I
mounted our Transworld TW2010 Adventurer portable on it's quadra-pod on a
second floor rear balcony, 10 feet below the roof level without even connecting
the tuning cable.   Good News:  was still able to work PY, DM, EA8, LZ,
S5,Caribbean, and even run a few W5's and W0's, all with only 80 watts.   Even
had a handful of 15M and 10M contacts.   Bad News: I called VY2ZM repeatedly on
3 separate occasions during the weekend on 20M and was never heard.   So it
seems I need a permanent roof mount to get more height and improve my signal to
the NE direction.

Now the next project is to string up some wires for 40 and 80, so I can start
getting on for the NCCC Sprint Ladder.   Isn't that ironic ... most ops use the
NCCC Sprints to practice for the major weekend contests, but I find I use the
major weekend contests as practice for the NCCC Sprints :-)   Also next week
we'll get our last shipment of items from long term storage, including a second
IC-735, memory keyers, wires and so forth, so time to get a SO2R box and start
practicing again.

Go PVRC!

Ken KE3X