[3830] CQWW SSB W7WA SOSB/40 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 1 11:50:58 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W7WA
Operator(s): W7WA
Station: W7WA

Class: SOSB/40 HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

   40: 1140    36       92
Total: 1140    36       92  Total Score = 412,800

Club: Western Washington DX Club

Comments:

I operated single band 40m phone several times from the late 80's to mid 90's
from W7RM and W7XR using big monoband yagis.  With a 2 el Cushcraft yagi I
never felt brave enough to attempt 40 meter phone from home until the recent
phone segment reallocations.

Some observations:

In the "old" days frustrated US hams constantly shouting "Listen up!" to dx
stations working simplex was a big problem.  Happy to report I heard this
refrain said only once the entire weekend.

Back then it used to be that I could tune my receiver across the entire 40
meter band without the S meter dropping much below S9+20 due to AM broadcast
stations.  In the evening the change below 7.2MHz seems quite remarkable.  In
the morning there is still a lot of AM BC and OTH radar from Asia but it is
definitely improved.

In general the Europeans working split heard me calling more easily than the
ones working simplex.

The second night polar absorption was the lowest I can recall in the phone WW
contest with many stations heard operating simplex below 7.125MHz from zones
16, 17 & 18.

73 de Dan