[3830] CQWW SSB W1DX M/2 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 1 13:57:29 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1DX
Operator(s): W1AN NG1G K1DM W1XX NR1H W1PN
Station: W1DX

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: Connecticut

  160:   54    10       27
   80:  173    16       66
   40:  288    29       92
   20:  862    34      113
   15:  660    32      122
   10:  128    14       34

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

This years CQWW SSB was the first Multi-II operation at the W1AN QTH in over 15
years. As contest stations go, the setup is a modest one. Station 1 antennas
consist of a KT36XA on one tower at 72 feet, an 80M full size vertical and a
"T" vertical topping at 80 feet for 160M. Two 560 foot beverages favor JA and
EU. An FT1000D and a K3 are the available rigs. The amp is an AL1200.

Station 2 has a 30 year old Mosley CL33 at 97 feet and an XM240 for 40 at 92
feet. An 80M inverted Vee hangs off the Station 2 tower at 80 feet. The rig is
an FT1000MP. The amp is another AL1200.

These two towers were installed within the last couple of months. The old 110
foot number 3 tower will sport new antennas in the coming year. The two
verticals and wires and beverages were installed in the week prior to the
test.

There was little planning or scheduling.  We pretty much decided which bands we
would operate based on current propagation, mult spots and which station had the
more favorable antenna. It was soon apparent that the 80M vertical would easily
outperform the inverted Vee. The CL33 at 97 feet would often equal the
performance of the KT36XA at 72 feet. It was nice to have the two tribanders
for flexibility.

Twenty was the busiest band but for a good part of the daylight hours 15 meters
was the place to be. Ten meter openings were there but you had to constantly
monitor for spots, swing the beam around and listen for signal strengths to
improve. Near the 2300 hour on Sunday we were amazed to work some very strong
20M stations from BY. I wondered what power they were running..?  80M was noisy
both nights and 160M was much quieter on Saturday night. 40M was busy and I'm
sure would could have put more time in there. We often found S&P to outperform
the run rate. Asking over and over for repeats while running in all the QRM was
painful. We did manage to work all 40 zones.

Thanks goes to the members of the CTRI Contest Group for getting the towers,
antennas and stations ready for this and future contests and for all the chair
time!

Thanks for all the Q's!
John W1AN