[3830] CQWW SSB OK5R(OK1RI) SOSB(A)/15 HP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Mon Nov 1 17:07:00 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: OK5R
Operator(s): OK1RI
Station: OK1RF/RI

Class: SOSB(A)/15 HP
QTH: Brezina

   15: 2763    39      164

We were planning M/2 OL4A operation from Brezina this year but.....after the
fall of the already nicely working and finished full size 3Y for 80m from 41 m
to the ground we decided to give up. We had only the old trustworthy vertical
for both 160 + 80m and no the 3el delta loop to the USA we had last year.... Of
course I had there well over 1/2 ton of aluminum and stainless steel junk worth
a few thousand $$.

Just in Wednesday I said it is a pity and that I might try once more some
single band operation. Since I also got a sore throat I decided not to be on
40m since it is 48 hour event and "not nice" operation due to the tremendous
jam. On 20m planed my buddy OK1RF/CT1JLZ operation and I thought there is no
chance against him also I thought it would be too long for my throat - so I
decided to go 15m and I was ready in the case my throat will be too bad just to
give up. My apology to a few guys who called me and instead of a reply heard my
not too nice coughing....and a reply next. I also decided after the experience
from four OL4A M/S and M/2 operations to go assisted - since I thougt it is
going to be more fun. My expectation was not too high since the band is not yet
"wide open" and so each few kms to the north play a huge role ! Still there is
6+6+6 and 6+6 and 6 on 3 towers, so.....

The propagation was decent. I finished having exactly 1000 QSOs from zones
5+4+3. Nice was to observe the increasing activity in zone 24. During our M/2
operation in 2009 we made 62 QSOs with this zone on all bands. This year I had
71 only on 15m !!! I just wonder how long it will take before we here in EU
will work more stations from zone 24 than from zone 25 ?
Another nice surprise was 30 (!!!) QSOs with ZS.

Interesting was the change in the propagation from Saturday to Sunday. Much
shorter; but much stronger signals from the west coast.
There was absolutely no LONG path JA. We worked some during both CQs last year
and during WPX SSB. Not a single one this weekend.
I missed zone 1 and I am not completely sure why. I understand there was
probably 5-10 stations active. I do not know if they did not heard any EU or
come to the band too late or there was simply no propagation??? I have not seen
a single spot made by EU station. All the spots came way too late and all were
made by the US. There was a couple of zone 2 stations (I worked 4) all coming
nicely and most being close behind the the "band openers". I believe there was
a chance much earlier around 13-14 GMT, 1630 was too late for EU - OX2A was
loud whole afternoon..... OK he is a bit over half way, but still.

It was very tough to make some EU rare multipliers I called SX5P probably 50
times during various times before I made a QSO, similar with GJ2A, SV9, C3. I
never made it to MD2C, even if I spent together probably 20 minutes calling him
both days. To work KH long-path or all the far east or Caribean mults was a
"snap".

Thanks for calling in and we (OL4A crew + some other OK/OM-s) do hope to get a
call from you in the CW leg piloting C5A - M/M.

73 !

Jiri OK1RI