[3830] CQWW SSB N1UR SOAB LP

webform at b41h.net webform at b41h.net
Tue Nov 2 08:12:32 PDT 2010

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: N1UR
Operator(s): N1UR
Station: N1UR

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: vt

  160:   39     8       16
   80:  106    18       48
   40:  162    19       64
   20:  438    31       92
   15:  603    19       88
   10:  108    15       28

Conditions were pretty good for this one but, like others, not as good as I was
hoping for.  160 and 80 were very poor to EU for the whole contest.  Probably
some of the poorest I can remember and 10 was a disappointment compared to the
EU teases we received for the past 2 weeks.  I did work one zone 14 and some
zone 33 and a couple of Africans.  The rest was South America and Carib which
had excellent openings both days.

20 was excellent but actually no better than last year in my opinion but 15
definately picked up (even worked my first JA on 15 in 5 years).

About 3 months ago, I started dealing with power line noise for the first time
since building the station.  Its not debilatating luckily but it is affecting
the low end signals and definately cost me Qs while CQing.  I am "on the hunt"
but as anyone knows dealing with this stuff...these things take time.

Murphy struck in a number of ways for this one.  I had some feed line issues
discovered the afternoon before the contest and I was able to fix it but that
kind of energy loss 5 hours before the open is not a way to start a 48 hour
contest.  I alos discovered that my 80M EU antenna was not working so the
whole
contest was done on the south sloper which functioned but had me down at least

6db from what I should have been and the banwidth on it shut me out of
anything
below 3670.  And then about mid contest, the computer went flaky on me and I
spent considerable time trying to get the program stable.  Never did get it
working totally right for the whole second half of the contest (still
debugging
the issue).

So with all that distraction, this was hardly my best effort in seat time or
on air performance.  Yet, I still had a lot of fun.  I decided by 03Z on
Friday
night that with the noise, the 80M EU antenna down, and the unexpected work
outside on Friday afternoon, going for a win was not the right approach for
this
one so I just settled in for the fun and was not disappointed.

See you in CW with a working computer and 80M EU antenna (but likely still
noise).

Ed  N1UR